Gluten free, dairy free & refined sugar free
This is a recipe for a wholesome and easy loaf cake. I have found this to be very flexible so feel free to experiment and make it your own.
2 medium baked sweet potatoes (around 350g)
250g ground flaxseeds
Around 175g dark chocolate (I use two large bars of Peruvian Cacao)
80g ground almonds
50ml olive oil (coconut oil or cacao butter would also work)
Juice and zest of one orange
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
This basic recipe can be embellished in so many different ways. It would work with a variety of different spices such as cinnamon and ginger. Lemon zest and vanilla would also be good additions.
- Preheat the oven to fan 170 degrees celsius.
- Remove the skin from the baked sweet potato and add everything, apart from the chocolate, into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and place into the processor with everything else. Then pulse just until the chocolate has been evenly mixed, but not until smooth. We’re aiming for chunks of chocolate to be dispersed throughout the batter.
- Grease a 23cm by 13cm loaf tin with oil, and pour in the thick batter making sure it’s evenly spread.
- Bake in the oven for 50mins to 1 hour until golden brown and springy to touch.
- Leave to cool for 5 mins and then take the cake out of the tin and let it rest on a wire rack. It tastes better when it’s cool so be patient.