This delicious gluten, dairy and refined sugar free Chocolate Christmas Pudding recipe is adapted from a Doves’ Farm recipe here: www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/gluten-free-chocolate-christmas-pudding
- 250g mixed dried fruits such as raisins, dates cranberries, currants, grated or chopped orange peel & sultanas (avoid anything candied). You can also include chopped walnuts and pecans if you like nuts.
- 5 tbsp liquified coconut oil (you can use odourless if you find the flavour too much)
- 6 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp molasses (also known as black treacle)
- 50g Gemini Just Chocolate or Coco bars, grated
- 100g gluten free bread flour
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice (we recommend nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger)
- Add your chosen fruits and nuts to a bowl, along with the oil, water and molasses.
- Cover and leave the mixture to stand overnight to absorb the liquid.
- Grease the sides of a pudding basin or oven-proof bowl then cut two circles of baking paper the size of the top of the pudding basin.
- Add the grated Gemini Chocolate, flour, cocoa and spices to the soaked fruit mixture.
- Pour everything into the prepared pudding basin and pat it down.
- Cover the mixture with the prepared paper circles and spread tin foil across the top of the basin.
To steam your pudding
Place the basin in a saucepan and then fill with water until it is half way up the basin. Put the lid on the saucepan and boil for 4 hours. As the water level drops, add more boiling water from a kettle.
Once the pudding is cooked, remove it from the pan and allow to cool, without removing the foil or greaseproof paper. It can be served immediately or stored for up to a month.
To reheat, steam the pudding again according to the instructions above for one hour, or microwave it (replacing the foil and paper with pierced cellophane) on 850w for 3min. Allow it to rest for 1min and then microwave at the same wattage for a further 2min.